Assistant Professor-Malaysia Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Job title: Assistant Professor-Malaysia Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Company: Heriot-Watt University
Job description: Job Description:
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is seeking to recruit enthusiastic academics with experience of teaching Financial Mathematics, Statistics or Actuarial Science. Successful candidates will be expected to build research over time. Successful candidates will also be expected to develop strong links to colleagues at the Scottish campuses to deliver high quality learning and teaching, to contribute to the continued development of the programmes offered to students, and to develop research in association with the Academic Schools in the UK.
Postholders will be expected to have a broad knowledge of a range of topics within the sphere of their chosen discipline, and an interest in research activities. The postholder will join the School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences at HWUM and will be a key member of the team delivering our programmes including the BSc in Actuarial Science, which is accredited by the UK’s Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
The role will be based at the University’s campus in Putrajaya, the administrative capital of Malaysia. Programmes will be delivered in English and so fluency in English is essential. An induction programme will be delivered to all new academic staff on Heriot-Watt’s standards and values, and to give practical experience on preparation, delivery and assessment of teaching.
Key Duties and Responsibilities * Undertake teaching and assessment duties on academic programmes. Support colleagues in other Schools at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia in the delivery of courses and other activities to support the delivery of HWUM’s aims.
- Develop relevant materials in appropriate formats for the above programs. Contribute to the content, design and delivery of the curriculum, and the quality of teaching and learning in consultation with colleagues and within the international structures and mechanisms established by the University. Review teaching design and delivery by obtaining and analysing feedback from students and peers. Support the accreditation processes of the MQA and other professional bodies.
- Provide effective, well documented and timely feedback, both formative and summative.
- Develop the level of subject expertise in line with latest developments in research and ensure these developments are reflected in teaching materials and methods.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and external networks for the exchange of information, to share learning and to form relationships for future collaboration.
- All HWUM staff endeavours will embody our shared values of: Inspire, Collaborate, Belong and Celebrate.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post and its general responsibilities. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
This section details the attributes e.g. skills, knowledge/qualifications and competencies which are required in order to undertake the full remit of the role.
Education & Qualifications
- Masters or equivalent qualification in relevant area of discipline
- PhD in Statistics or Mathematics
- Industry experience in related fields
- 3+years of Teaching or Training experience
- Clear communicator with good presentation skills and ability to explain concepts well
- Experience teaching in higher education
- Experience in preparing paperwork for quality assurance, e.g. MQA
- Ability to deliver and teach mathematics and statistics courses such as Portfolio Theory, Derivative Pricing, Life Insurance Mathematics, Machine Learning, Bayesian Inference
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Able to operate within Heriot Watt University Malaysia and liaise closely with the UK
- An ability to apply knowledge acquired from research into teaching materials and methods
- Willingness and potential to identify and develop independent/collaborative portfolio of research
- Familiarity with R, Excel, SPSS, Matlab, Minitab, Java, Python etc
Special Factors (if applicable)
- High standards of professional and personal integrity
Essential Criteria – these are attributes without which a candidate would not be able to undertake the full remit of the role. Applicants who do not clearly demonstrate in their application that they possess the essential requirements will normally be eliminated at the short listing stage.
Desirable Criteria – these are attributes which would be useful for the candidate to hold. When shortlisting, these criteria will be considered when more than one applicant meets the essential criteria.
Applications should be submitted to Oracle system.
Applications must be submitted by 21 July 2021. If you are not contacted by the selection committee by 4 August 2021 then please assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity.
Job date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:12:49 GMT
Apply for the job now!
#Assistant #ProfessorMalaysia #Mathematical #Computer #Sciences