Assistant Rancher – Heifer USA
Job title: Assistant Rancher – Heifer USA
Company: Heifer International
Job description: Description
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer USA works with small-scale farmers to help them transform their communities. The Assistant Rancher will support all livestock enterprises at Heifer Ranch with an emphasis on ruminants, grazing, and animal and pasture health.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Honest, Strong work ethic, Reliable, Enthusiastic, Commitment to learning and performance, Self-starter, Proactive, “Whatever it takes” mentality, Attention to detail, Punctual, Passion for farming and food justice issues, Organized, Flexible, and Thrives in a culturally diverse environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Ruminant Animal Husbandry (50%)
- Support all livestock enterprises with an emphasis on ruminants, grazing, and animal and pasture health
- Check on livestock daily to ensure animal health and forage availability.
- Set-up and move fence, ensure available water and minerals.
B. Recordkeeping, ecosystem monitoring and forage monitoring. (20%)
- Using the current record-keeping system, track and record herd health, breeding, births, mortality, and culls.
- Conduct soil and forage testing
- Help create and adhere to Holistic Planned Grazing chart and plan
- Must understand (or be willing to learn) and adhere to the principles of Holistic Planned Grazing and manage livestock moves in accordance
C. Support Heifer USA’s training program (10%)
- Assist in livestock-related trainings- both in-person and digital
D. Support woodlot pork and pastured poultry enterprises (10%)
- As needed, assist in the tasks needed for these livestock enterprises such as feeding, watering, moving and chicken catching.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (10%)
- Must be willing and able to step in and assist in any Ranch enterprise as directed
Minimum Requirements: * High School diploma or GED
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have a valid drivers license
Preferred Requirements: * Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Agri-business, Agriculture, Environmental Sustainability, or related field.
- General knowledge of sustainable agriculture, regenerative grazing practices, and livestock welfare
- Experience working with cattle, small ruminants, swine and poultry.
Most Critical Proficiencies: * Reliable
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passion for Regenerative Agriculture.
- Ability to respectfully work with a diverse staff.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands: * Must be physically able to complete a wide variety of manual, ranch tasks such as fence building, machinery operation, truck and trailer operation, and electric fence troubleshooting and repair.
- Able to lift ~50 lbs. or more
- Willing to work in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision
- Able to work after hours and weekends as needed.
- Ability to take direction and execute tasks as directed.
- Must be highly organized.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Job date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 01:42:28 GMT
Apply for the job now!
#Assistant #Rancher #Heifer #USA