Director, Government Affairs (Based in Tokyo, Japan)
Job title: Director, Government Affairs (Based in Tokyo, Japan)
Job description: Position Summary:
The Director of Government Affairs for Japan will be responsible for driving direct engagement and establishing a wide network with senior decision makers and foster strong business relationships across a wide platform of key opinion leaders, relevant health and research institutions and ministries. With 90% of the world’s sequencing data having been generated using Illumina technology, we have experienced impressive growth in an area which is only just beginning to emerge as a major influence in areas such as personalized medicine, oncology, reproductive health and molecular diagnostics as well as food testing, agrigenomics and use in public health.
With a global Government Affairs function centered in San Diego, California, and reporting to our Senior Director of Government Affairs for Asia Pacific & Japan (APJ) this role will continue to actively engage with key stakeholders to drive policy change and adoption of our innovative products as an industry standard for genomic analysis.
- Work with Asia Pacific and Japan (APJ) Government Affairs and Leadership Team to develop Illumina’s strategy, programs and resource plan to meet the overall growth strategy and priorities for Japan.
- Develop and maintain relationships and a ready communications channel with senior decision makers relevant to Illumina’s business, including but not limited to key policy influencers within the Ministry of Health Labor and Welfare, Ministry of Finance, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agencies and the Diet.
- Play an active role in thought leadership initiatives to build a positive and favorable image for Illumina with the above stated organizations. He/she would identify and create platforms for Illumina to participate in that affect Illumina’s business and standing in the Japan economy.
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders for visiting senior Illumina executives
- Monitor the legislative and policy changes, and industry, technology and investment priorities. Provide input to the Asia Leadership team on business development opportunities and longer-term business strategies.
- Actively participate in trade/commercial related bodies and various programs between Japan and the US in order to establish contacts with peer companies to promote and expand Illumina’s business opportunities.
- Engage with trade associations, research institutions, industry partners, non-profit groups, and other allies to promote and build support for public policy positions.
- Identify Corporate Social Responsibility programs that can relate to Illumina’s business objectives.
- Working with the APJ Government Affairs Team, support in managing government affairs consultants for Japan.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- 8-12 years experience working with or in government, politics or relevant regulatory agencies and/or have expertise in the Japan political environment and processes.
- Strong government affairs contacts in government ministries relevant to Illumina.
- Related experience in Life Science, Pharma and/or Clinical Diagnostics issues an advantage.
- Senior executive presence and strong business acumen; Able to work across the company to identify opportunities.
- A self-starter, using good analytical skills and a strategic approach to highlight key opportunities and challenges for business growth.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including fluency in Japanese and English.
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
- Educational background in Law, Politics, Business, Biology or related degree
- An understanding of genomics and its applications is a plus
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Job date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 02:50:27 GMT
Apply for the job now!
#Director #Government #Affairs #Based #Tokyo #Japan